Frequently Asked Questions




Where do I go to get a dog license? The Town Clerk's office. They become available mid-January, and all dogs must be licensed before May 1st. Please remember to bring a copy of the Rabies Certificate and/or a copy of the Spaying/Neutering Certificate. Per RSA 466:4- Puppies under 7 months (not spayed or neutered) $6.50; Unaltered dogs $9.00; Spayed/Neutered Dogs $6.50; Senior Citizens (Over 65) $2.00 for the first dog.  Per RSA 466:6-Group License (5 or more dogs) $20.00; Per RSA 466:7-There shall be a $1.00 late fee assessed for each month.  Per RSA 466:13 & 466:14 - If you have not licensed your dog by June 1st, an additional $25.00 fee will be charged. An additional fee of $7.00 shall be charged for cost of service.  All renewals can be done online if we have updated rabies information at

Rabies Certificates can be mailed to 424 White Mountain Highway, Milton, NH 03851 or e-mailed to


Motor Vehicles:

Can I get a cost to register a vehicle over the phone? No quotes will be given over the phone, however you can get an estimate online at  

How do I get a replacement if I lose my registration? You may obtain a replacement registration at the State Motor Vehicle Office at a cost of $15.00 or at the Town Clerk/Tax Collector's Office for $18.00.

Can I get "moose plates" at this office? Yes, however, if you would like a moose vanity plate see vanity plates below.

Can I get "vanity plates" at this office? Yes.  To apply for a new Vanity Plate, you must fill out an application for vanity plates. The application will then be submitted to the Concord DMV office for review and in the meantime you will receive a paper plate.

Can I get temporary plates at this office? No. You need to go to a state DMV office. The closest offices being Dover Point (Exit 6) or the Tamworth office on Route 16. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.  The cost is $10.

When and where can I get my driver's license renewed? Any DMV state office. The closest offices being Dover Point (Exit 6) or the Tamworth office on Route 16. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

I hold an out of state driver's license which is my primary residence, I would like to register a car to leave at my seasonal home here in Milton, what do I need to do? You must verify your non-residence status by showing proof (i.e. tax bill/electric bill/cable bill) to the Town Clerk, filling out a notarized Milton Nonresident Statement Affidavit and presenting your driver's license to the clerk. NH RSA 261:46. Nonresident Registration. Notwithstanding RSA 261:45, the department shall register motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not residents of New Hampshire upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form developed by the department, swearing that the vehicle is principally garaged or is regularly kept overnight in New Hampshire and that the applicant is the owner of at least one other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's residence.   

I moved to Milton from another New Hampshire town/city. What do I need to register my vehicle in Milton? You must verify your residence status by providing one of the following: an electric/cable bill (within the last 60 days), a signed purchase & sales agreement, a signed rental agreement or a notarized affidavit from the property owner/agent (forms are in the office and online at Bring your driver's license and the most recent registration per RSA 261:148.

I've just moved to Milton from another state, how long do I have to re-register and title my vehicle to New Hampshire? RSA 261:45. Resident of State. Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44*, when a nonresident has established a bona fide residency in this state, said resident shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date his residency was established in which to register his/her vehicle in New Hampshire. *RSA 261:44. Operation Without Registration; Reciprocity. A vehicle, other than an OHRV or snowmobile, owned by a nonresident and duly registered for the current year in the state, district or country of which the owner is a resident may be driven upon the ways of the state without registration under this chapter to the extent, as to period of driving and otherwise, that the state, district or country of registration grants similar privileges for the operation of such vehicles owned by residents of this state and registered under its laws. The director for the purposes of this section shall determine the nature and extent of the privileges for the driving of vehicles granted by other states, districts or countries to residents of this state and his determination shall be final.

I've just moved to New Hampshire from another state, how much time do I have to change my driver's license to NH and surrender my out-of-state license? RSA 263:35. Nonresident Who Establishes a Residency in the State. Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44 or any other law to the contrary, any nonresident driver of a motor vehicle who holds a valid driver's license in another jurisdiction, upon the establishment of a bona fide residency in this state, shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date his residency was established to obtain a driver's license issued by the State of New Hampshire.



When are property taxes due in Milton? The first bill is due in July. The second bill is due in December. Bills are sent to the address of the last known owner by State law. If you change your mailing address, it is your responsibility to notify the Assessing Department in writing of the change.  You can now view/pay your taxes online at


Vital Records:

How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil union certificate? You need to make a request in writing either by mail, in person or online at You must be a member of the immediate family (no cousins or in-laws) or have a direct and tangible interest in the record. The cost of the certified copy is $15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for any subsequent copies ordered at the same time for the same person. As of 1/1/05 NH State Law requires identification when requesting a certified record or search. You will need to send a copy of your picture ID when requesting a record by mail/email or show picture ID when you come in person.

How do I obtain a marriage license? Effective as of January 1, 2010, RSA 457:1-a Equal Access to Marriage. Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people. Any person who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of this chapter may marry any other eligible person regardless of gender. Each party to a marriage shall be designated "bride," "groom," or "spouse". The couple must appear before the Town Clerk and must be getting married in the State of NH. The fee for the license is $50.00. Both parties must be 18 years of age or older and a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate is sufficient for proof of age. If either party is a NH resident and under 18 a waiver may be granted by the probate court in the county where you live (this waiver does not apply for same sex couples under 18). If either party was married before, a certified copy of how the marriage ended is needed (i.e. death certificate, dissolution - in cases of civil unions, divorce decree or annulment certificate). The license is good for 90 days. The license is valid on the day it is processed.



How do I register to vote? The Supervisors of the Checklist administer voter registration. They issue guidelines for the taking of evidence of qualification presented by applicants. The Supervisors have special hours determined by State Law to accept voter registrations, these hours are posted at the Town Hall and online, they are generally held just before an election and before the beginning of filing period. The Town Clerk's office will also accept applications during regular business hours. The Supervisors will approve applications when they meet. Voter registration closes 10 days before an election. New Hampshire also has same day voter registration. You may not register to vote at school district and town meetings. You may register to vote at your polling place on Election Day and vote. You are required to show proof of age, domicile and citizenship. Acceptable forms of proof of age include a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate. A driver’s license, utility bill or other mailed correspondence is acceptable for proof of domicile. Naturalization papers are proof of citizenship if you were not born in the United States. Domicile and citizenship affidavits are available if you cannot provide necessary documentation. When you register to vote you are registered for all elections and town and school meetings.



Do you take credit cards or debit cards? Yes for most transactions, however there is a 2.79% convenience fee. Taxes can be paid with a credit/debit card online at

What are some phone numbers that I might need? Call 652-4501 x4 for questions about paying your tax bill. Call 652-4501x6 for your tax assessment.  Call 652-4501 x3 for questions about motor vehicle registrations, vital records, dog licensing. Call 227-4020 for questions about your driver's license. Call 227-4000 for questions about 20 day plates.